DAoC – Wayback Wednesday (Mythic Q&A) Transcript Part 3
MMORPG.com’s Twitch TV channel visits Dark Age of Camelot – The host Rob “Grak Ulen” is joined by John Thornhill, Designer for Dark Age of Camelot, and Kai Schober, Community Manager at BioWare, to play the game and talk about its special appeal; its history and future.
This post is Part 3 of 4 transcripts from a 3 hour session, I didn’t get a chance to watch the stream live as it was 4AM in the UK. Although archives of the video are available.
- Video Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/313956672
- Video Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/313964783
- Bounty Points
- Realm Ranks
- New Classes
- DAoc Uniqueness
- Random (Lots)
[0:00:15] – [0:02:00] Bounty Points
– You might have enough bounty points now to buy one of the Mythirans
– Ooh I might level too
– You can get to 24 and then /xp off
– These bounty points are pretty cool, great idea
– They’ve been in the game around the time realm points were put in
– Never been a lot to do with them
– Housing rent, buy some things
– Used to claim keeps with guild bounty points
– With the new user journey we wanted to have a use for them
– They are used for gear at level 50, so you can save them as you level
[0:10:00] – [0:12:00] Roleplay
– The person that says RP next to their name, prefer to talk in RP?
– It’s like roleplay
– So you don’t have a separate RP server?
– You can also use some commands to change words into other words
– Theres a lot of functionality there
– We used to have a roleplay server, but we clustered everything to Ywain
[0:14:45] – [0:16:00+] Realm Ranks
– I’ve got 221 realm points, at what point should I hit the first realm rank?
– You should already have 3 realm levels
– You have 3 realm skill points to spend
– Every 10 realm levels you gain a new realm rank
– Changes the title above your head that the enemy sees and gives you boost to skills passively
– The realm levels are what you aim for to spend points on abilities and passive bonuses
– You can visit your trainer at any time, and go to the realm skills tab and spend the points
– What is the highest realm rank?
– Highest realm rank is 16, something like 60 million
– Theres 10 or less in 11 years of playing, takes quite a while to get there
– Realm rank advancement, a lot of new players complained about fighting high RR players
– Want players to get to the cap of each battleground before they reach the end-game which is RR5
– Once you are RR5 you can hold your own in New Frontiers
– What do you mean by realm rank 5?
– 50 realm levels (or dots)
[0:17:45] – [0:18:45] – New Classes
– (Chatroom) People are curious if there is going to be another class, not like you don’t have enough of them
– 45 classes
– Class balance is very tricky
– Ever going to put no. 46?
– No plans to add another class, pretty happy with the classes we have
– Can’t say never
– Share them across the three realms
– That’s what we did with the last class we added, the Mauler
[0:41:00] – [0:42:15] Crafting
– How about crafting, is there a meaning still?
– Yes, Spellcrafting and Alchemy are two very important end-game crafts
– Spellcrafting allows you to attach bonuses to player crafted armor to fill holes in your gear set
– Alchemy does all the potions and poisons which are very popular
– And there are classic crafts for weapons and armor
– Siegecrafting is also useful allows you to craft siege weapons and ammo
[0:43:00] – [0:44:00] DAoC Uniqueness
– Anything else you want to add?
– Dark Age unique as a realm vs realm game
– Only game thats like it in the mmo space
– Still will be from new games coming out
– 3 unique sides (guild wars 2 doesnt have that)
– amount of classes in the game
– a lot of variants and playstyles can be had in the three realms
– synergy between the three realms in realm vs realm combat is a lot of fun
– 3 enemies and always changing tactics between them, example of interfering in other 2 realms relic raids
– Never know whats behind the next turn
– Why is this players name in green? does that mean he’s a guildie not in the group?
– (Chatroom) Orange = Group, Red = Bad Guy, Green = Guildie, Blue = Friendly
– Thidranki was one of the first battlegrounds that went into the game
– also Caledonia
– My question earlier regarding instanced battlegrounds, are there open world rvr objectives, more so than the rvr lakes?
– Before you get to 50 no, when you get to 50 yes
– The whole 50 rvr is the rvr lakes, the climax of the game
– The battlegrounds as you level up prepare you for it
– I have a sub
– Our subs have been very stable
– I’m constantly suprised by how much fun the older games are
– You may not play every day, 8 hours a day
– A few hours a week sounds good
– I’m level 24 so I’m using /xp off, I’ll still be able to get realm rank points right?
– The battleground after Thidranki is dead?
– With the new battleground quests they all have action
– However Thidranki, Molvik and Cathal Valley are the most popular
– I haven’t trained since level 20
– Don’t use healing potions in combat?
– If you want to use one, you have to be out of combat (can’t have your weapon out and hitting someone)
– Can quickly hit escape and put your weapon away and use it
– Dark age is group focused, and so encourages group healers
– Whats a forest heart?
– One of the Hibernian classes pets
– How many servers are there right now?
– Three technically, a PvE server cooperative – no realm vs realm, PvP Mordred, and Ywain which is a clustered normal ruleset server.
– There are 10 Ywains so we can have enough slots for all the characters
– Trying to toggle my weapon
– F6 toggles the combat
– What if you had a character on another server before Ywain, is it now there?
– It’s still on the original server
– On the server list, select the option for show archived servers
– Log into your original server
– Perform the /freexfer command which will transfer it to Ywain
– Do y ou plan to put more DAoC T-Shirts on your store?
– They sold out really fast, we hope so
– If you want to try this game theres a 2 week free trial, with no restrictions
– Accounts closed more than 90 days, you can play 2 weeks free
Final part to be released in the evening.
- DAoC – Wayback Wednesday (Mythic Q&A) Transcript Part 2
- DAoC – Wayback Wednesday (Mythic Q&A) Transcript Part 1
- DAoC – Returning Players
- DAoC – 1.112 Patch (Screenshots)
- DAoC – Patch 1.112 (Relic System Changes)