DAoC – Wayback Wednesday (Mythic Q&A) Transcript Part 2
MMORPG.com’s Twitch TV channel visits Dark Age of Camelot – The host Rob “Grak Ulen” is joined by John Thornhill, Designer for Dark Age of Camelot, and Kai Schober, Community Manager at BioWare, to play the game and talk about its special appeal; its history and future.
This post is Part 2 of 4 transcripts from a 3 hour session, I didn’t get a chance to watch the stream live as it was 4AM in the UK. Although archives of the video are available.
- Video Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/313956672
- Video Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/313964783
- Old Frontiers
- PvP Server
- Infernal Sleeves / Events
- PvP Instances
- Official Forum
- Random Comments
[0:43:30] -[0:44:15] Future
- We do certainly have future plans, for bringing the game up to date
- Our focus for the past year of so
- In addiction, bringing the game up to date in terms of UI, and everything really
- Help new players, and help existing players (seen with relic revamp and class balance changes)
- Didn’t you guys already do an engine / skin revamp 5 years into the game?
- The catacombs expansion had a complete new character skins and art
[0:45:00] – [0:49:00] Keeps
- Should I start banging on the door? It’s not going to do a lot is it.
- Without ram it might take a while
- We should get someone from the region to get one
- I saw a name
- Yeah he popped in and out, he’s a Midgard character and they own the keep, so he’s going to harass us
- I’m up on the top and it looks like a platform
- Typically in New Frontiers at level 50 RvR lakes you can purchase siege weapons if you own the keep, but in the battlegrounds they are disabled
- I killed a hunter, was that a player?
- If the name said hunter than it was a npc
- Players names are in red instead of yellow
- Thidranki is one of our most popular battlegrounds, there’s always people in Thidranki
[0:55:45] – [0:58:15] ACCESSORIES
- I wanted to ask about the other items, I see this cloak, whats with the belt and the ring, I don’t see the stats on there, am I missing something?
- If you right click the item, and press the info button you will see the stats
- Everything on the merchant should help you
- Can I have two rings?
- Yes, and two bracers.
- I would never have even thought to buy two bracers
- Jewellery, is that what these final ones are?
- Those last ones are Mythirians, they go in the Mythical slot at the top of your character
- They have special abilities
- Used to only be available for 50′s
- Added them to lower levels with the new user journey
[1:00:00] – [1:01:15] HERALD
- Do you guys want to talk about the herald at all?
- Question probably isn’t related to the herald, but to the realm war page
- I would love to have it back, to quench all the complains, but have the functionality back as I was using myself as a player
- There are problems relating to it, even though everyone will say it’s easy to do, but there are some security issues
- When I used to play, there was a webpage where you could see who controlled what realms, I thought it was a neat function
[1:02:45] – [1:04:30] Old Frontiers
- Any plans for an Old Frontiers event? What’s the level range on the old frontiers?
- Old frontiers is the precursor to New Frontiers
- 6/7 years ago, it was the level 5o RvR area
- Revamp called New Frontiers that completely replaced it
- Think he’s asking about a return to Old Frontiers which is not in the works right now
- We have some interesting plans for New Frontiers, moving the relics to the innermost keeps is one of them
- One of the complaints that we hear is that the RvR zone is too big, especially if your running a small group or soloing, that it’s too hard to find players
- Removing the keeps reduces the size abit to focus the action around the remaining keeps
- We have other plans regarding that with new frontiers but we aren’t ready to talk about them just yet
[1:05:00] – [1:05:45] PvP Server
- So you guys have a hardcore pvp server where you die once and your done?
- The difference there is that it’s a free-for-all
- Any realm can fight itself, there is no realm allegience
- More of a typical player vs player that you see in most games
- Realm vs Realm is more popular
[1:05:45] – [1:06:30] Infernal Sleeves / Events
- Infernal Sleeves, any intention to bring them back?
- It’s a very popular item, yes we will bring the event back at some point
- Also the spring time event is planned for the next week
- Dangerous bunnies in the frontiers
[1:08:15] - [1:09:15] – PvP Instances
- Beside these lakes, is there any RvR that goes on outside this instanced world
- This is not an instanced world
- Open world for all 20-24 players in the game
- No instances in the dark age world
- A bracketed zone, so you can play with people who don’t outlevel or outgear you.
- Main RvR world is a bigger area, 14 zones
STREAM BEGINS TO DEGRADE, SO I’VE HAD TO GUESS AT MYTHIC ANSWERS
[1:09:30] – [1:10:40] Upgrades
- With the upgrades are you talking about an engine revamp or upgrade models and textures
- Not as much graphical, because of resource limitations
- More updating existing content and systems
- Can’t get into specifics
[1:13:00] – [1:17:15] Mordred
- What are the plans to save the Mordred server?
- They are on the way, but we can’t really discuss them
- They have plans for the mordred server, they really love it
- Because they are working on them, they can’t getting into the details, but they are planning on addressing it
[1:21:15] – [1:21:45] Official Forum
- I couldn’t find any official forums for the game
- We’ve never had official forums
- Used several community public forums as their mouthpiece
- I lost my target box
- If you press escape, and click interface elements you can click floating target
- I’m glad to hear you guys trying to update it (the game)
- I don’t know what a FG is
- Full group
- I’ve died a couple of times, should I be worried about my stamina or any death penalty?
- In realm vs realm the death penalty is only a reduction of your stats (reduced in battlegrounds) only 30/40 seconds
- If we could get 100 people every week consistantly I’d be game (to play and stream again)
- I’m usually around once or twice a week, have some Thidranki characters, not this one, long time since I’ve played a bard, usually play a stealther
- I see a Skiltvakten
- That’s their realm rank, you see the race and the realm rank
- Do Trolls tend to end up being Bonedancers
- Trolls have more health
- And bonedancers have a lifetap, so they stay alive a little bit longer, which makes them popular
- You can’t actually take their keep because of their guards? (portal keeps)
- They will instantly kill you
- The entry keep in to the battleground is a safe area and the combat happens in the central keep
- I’ll see if we can get together and do something like this in the Molvik level
- Dark age was the first MMO I played, but I didn’t play it for long
- Had military commitments and did PvP for real
- Had a great time adventuring
- Basic graphics but enjoyed at the time
- Whats the key to dive?
- z to go down
Parts 3 and 4 to come when I can!
- DAoC – Wayback Wednesday (Mythic Q&A) Transcript Part 1
- DAoC – Patch 1.112 (Relic System Changes) (etaew.wordpress.com)
- DAoC – Returning Players (etaew.wordpress.com)
- DAoC – 1.112 Patch (Screenshots) (etaew.wordpress.com)