DAoC – Wayback Wednesday (Mythic Q&A) Transcript Part 1
MMORPG.com’s Twitch TV channel visits Dark Age of Camelot – The host Rob “Grak Ulen” is joined by John Thornhill, Designer for Dark Age of Camelot, and Kai Schober, Community Manager at BioWare, to play the game and talk about its special appeal; its history and future.
This post is Part 1 of 4 transcripts from a 3 hour session, I didn’t get a chance to watch the stream live as it was 4AM in the UK. Although archives of the video are available.
- Video Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/313956672
- Video Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/313964783
- RvR Compared to PvP
- Why Thidranki? / New User Experience
- Battleground Caps
- DAoC Fans Working for Mythic
- Future Content
- Enemy Names
- Free to Play
- Realm Points
- Server Instances
[0:00:00 - 0:01:30] INTRODUCTIONS
- fan of mmos and rise of mmos
- likes to go back to see early mmos that are still around that started it all
- been with mythic 3.5 years
- one of the designers on the camelot team
- playing camelot since just before SI (9 years)
- worked for daoc in 2002 (for eu)
- 1 yr ago offer to join bioware mythic and move to fairfax virginia
- community manager for all mythic products inc. dark age of camelot
[0:04:00] – [0:06:10] RVR COMPARED TO PVP
- What is RvR compared to PvP?
- RvR is our take on PvP
- which is very team orientated
- When you log in you are already in a realm
- A realm cannot fight itself
- Already have a team that will always be on your side
- Always able to participate in battles with them, dont worry about them backstabbing you
- Other games pvp where its single or guild focused.
- Dark age is very much about helping your realm rather than going out yourself killing things
- Going out with your realm and conquering the other realms
- Don’t have to worry about consistent guild or set of players you always have to play with
[0:07:35] – [0:10:45] WHY THIDRANKI / NEW USER EXPERIENCE
- Chose Thidranki because:
- Didn’t want to jump to end-game
- Lot of RvR going on here
- Is a subscriber so levelling his own character
- Perfect, spent the last year working on the new user journey, re-doing the tutorial and the 1-35+ experience. Good to showcase.
- Easy time going through the new player experience
- Found that once you get to 10, and start visiting battlegrounds, doing the PvE quests for bountys for gear
- Goals, big gap between veteran and new players, lessen the gap
- Expedited the leveling, and helped players acquire gear
- Have templates you can get through the battlegrounds or PvE and compliment all your stats (PvE less good)
[0:15:45] – [0:17:15] BATTLEGROUND CAPS
- What happens if I get to level 25 in a 24 battleground?
- You can stay but if you get killed and /release you will be sent back to your bind point.
- Do I get experience from killing players or just realm points?
- Can I turn off my experience gains?
- You can stay as long as you want, as there are caps for levels and realm points.
- /xp off and /rp off
- Generally want to wait until your the max level for the battleground before you do that
- See that on the experience bar, click bubbles on bottom of the summary window, toggle between level xp, realm rank and champion level
[0:19:30] – [0:21:45] GROUPS
- What is the max group size?
- 8 people
- More than 8 you could make a battlegroup, which is essentially a chat
- Can I see who is the leader of another group?
[0:23:45] – [0:25:00] DAOC FANS WORKING FOR MYTHIC
- Read an article about a fan working for mythic
- Well I was a fan and I work for them
- In general for most of us, played for dark age then 2 months after release, started working for them.
- Has one of the most passionate fan bases of all games
- Great to see people still playing and talking about the game
- And it’s great to work on the game
[0:25:00] – [0:28:45] FUTURE CONTENT
- Any new expansions for DAoC?
- or Addon content patch?
- Like the new user journey or the revamp of the relics (put on pendragon today)
- Aren’t on the box and don’t have to pay for them
- iteration, new approach to the game, making it better
- Evaluating if they want to do a big expansion
- New user journey is the largest patch since last expansion
- Relic changes another big patch, for key systems
- Sticking to free content updates
- Test server
- Pendragon server
- Any other highlights?
- Mostly class balance changes, probably don’t want to get into that
- Relic revamp hearken back to the old frontiers, that is kinda popular with some players
- Taken out the relic temples and put them in relic keeps, that are outside of the gates
- Simplified the relic taking process, take a keep, take the relic, and take it back to their realm
- Eliminated issues with not being able to find people carrying a relic
[0:28:45] – [0:31:30] RELICS
- Not familiar with the relics, what are they?
- Relics are the end-goal of the level 50 end-game
- Level 50 RvR is what people strive for and relics are the end-goal for that
- Capturing an enemy realms relic takes a lot of effort coordination
- Is a huge reward to your whole realm (realm-wide bonus), melee or magic damage up to 20%
[0:34:45] – [0:35:40] ENEMY NAMES
- It shows Briton, not their name?
- It’s their race
- Once you get down the races, it’s easy to know which realm they are
- Part of the mystique of dark age, is learning all of the classes, and you can do that through sheer practice
- Also a way to de-personalise the game, a lot of the new games with pvp have names above their heads, and you can see exactly who you are killing
- Even though you can get to know them a little better, you don’t have the sense of realm pride that dark age has, you just see that a hib is killing an alb and that’s all that needs to be said.
[0:35:40] – [0:36:15] STICK
- Is there a stick hotkey?
- You can make a macro or you can type /keyboard
- It will bring up the keyboard window, and there should be a /stick hotkey
- Movement section at the very bottom
- Shift F, or rebind to another
[0:36:45] – [0:38:15] FREE TO PLAY
- With Warhammer having a endless trial, does dark age of camelot have any plans for free to play or some sort of hybrid.
- Constantly looking into this
- Have some ideas
- One of the problems with dark age is that its a 10 year old game, to introduce things to make it free to play is hard
- In a PvP game, have to be careful what people can pay for, don’t want to turn into Pay to Win
- No real plans, doesn’t mean it’s out of discussion for the future
[0:38:45] – [0:39:35] REALM POINTS
- Seems like realm points come pretty slow, I’m still realm rank 1
- At low level your only going to get about 1 realm point per kill
- At this battleground you only need 125 to cap out
- So it’s 125 kills, that isn’t too much
- It helped keep the end-game intact over the years and people interested for so long, you can get millions of them before your up in the higher ranks
[0:40:00] – [0:40:45] ASSIST
- I’m having a hard time targeting, I keep clicking on their pets
- If you want you can make an assist macro for me /macro assist /assist THEPLAYERNAME
- Depending on if you have the new interface without any personalised UI, there is an assist button in the target window
- Then you have his target and we can try to kill the same guy
- Just use the chat and it will create a button, and that button you can place on your quickbar and press it.
[0:41:00] – [0:42:00] SERVER INSTANCES
- It seems to me there are instances of the same realm, and you can talk to someone who can transfer you
- Ywain is a big cluster out of 10 servers
- Most of the zones are shared, so it doesn’t matter, e.g. Ywain 1 or Ywain 8
- In order to allow people to have a nice house location, there are 10 housing zones per realm (30 in total)
- So if you don’t find a house on Ywain 1, and chances are low because it’s a high population server, there will most likely be spaces on Ywain 9.
More when I get around to them.